Sweet and sour pork is a classic Chinese dish that has become popular all around the world. It’s a delicious combination of crispy fried pork, bell peppers, onions, and pineapple in a tangy and sweet sauce. This dish is loved by many for its flavorful and colorful combination of ingredients.
Origins of Sweet and Sour Pork:
The origins of sweet and sour pork can be traced back to the Guangdong province of China, where it was first created as a way to preserve pork in the days before refrigeration. The dish was originally made by marinating pork in vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce, then frying it until crispy. Over time, cooks added more ingredients such as vegetables and pineapple to the dish to enhance its flavor.
Here is a simple recipe you can follow to make a sweet and sour pork
To make sweet and sour pork at home, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of pork tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup of water
- Oil for frying
For the sweet and sour sauce:
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch, flour, beaten egg, and water until you have a smooth batter. Add the pork pieces to the batter and stir until they’re coated evenly.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the battered pork pieces and fry them until they’re golden brown and crispy. Remove the pork from the pan and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ketchup, white vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and water until you have a smooth sauce.
- In the same frying pan or wok, stir-fry the bell peppers and onion until they’re slightly softened. Add the pineapple chunks and continue to stir-fry for a few more minutes.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce into the pan and stir until it thickens. Add the crispy pork back into the pan and stir until it’s coated in the sauce.
- Serve the sweet and sour pork hot with steamed rice.
Tips & Trick:
- You can always change the protein to chicken to make sweet and sour chicken or change it to fish to make sweet and sour fish. Just remember that the frying time for each protein might differ.
- Some people use young/unripe mango cut into thin stick to substitute the pineapple fruity sourness.
Sweet and sour pork is a classic Chinese dish that is loved by many for its delicious combination of crispy fried pork, bell peppers, onions, and pineapple in a tangy and sweet sauce. While it may seem like a complicated dish to make, it’s actually quite easy to prepare at home with just a few simple ingredients. If you’re looking to add some excitement to your dinner routine, give sweet and sour pork a try!