Spaghetti carbonara is a classic Italian dish that is loved by many around the world. It’s a simple but delicious pasta dish made with spaghetti, eggs, pancetta or bacon, Pecorino Romano cheese, and black pepper.
The origins of spaghetti carbonara are a bit murky, but it’s believed to have originated in the Lazio region of Italy, specifically in Rome. Some say that it was created by coal workers who needed a hearty and filling meal, while others believe that it was a dish created by Italian cooks for American soldiers during World War II.
Regardless of its origins, spaghetti carbonara is a beloved dish that has stood the test of time. Here’s how to make it.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 6 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water until it’s al dente, or cooked to your liking.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, cook the pancetta or bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it’s crispy and golden brown. Remove the pancetta or bacon from the skillet with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, Pecorino Romano cheese, black pepper, and a pinch of salt until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Drain the spaghetti and add it to the skillet with the pancetta or bacon. Toss the spaghetti with the pancetta or bacon until it’s coated in the fat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the egg and cheese mixture to the skillet. Toss the spaghetti with the egg and cheese mixture until it’s coated and creamy.
- Serve the spaghetti carbonara immediately, garnished with additional Pecorino Romano cheese, black pepper, and parsley if desired.
Spaghetti carbonara is a simple and delicious dish that’s perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It’s also a great dish to make for a dinner party or special occasion. The creamy, cheesy sauce combined with the crispy, salty pancetta or bacon and the perfectly cooked spaghetti is a winning combination that’s sure to please everyone. Give it a try and see for yourself!